Keisean Nixon had previously been a Pro Bowler as a return specialist. Last year, he made it to the Pro Bowl as a cornerback. This year, the long-time Packer is fighting for a spot in the starting lineup.
Nixon shrugged at the reality on Sunday.
“I don’t see myself in no competition,” Nixon told reporters on Sunday, via Ryan Wood of USA Today. “I’m coming in here to compete for myself. What they do, and what they choose to do, that’s out of my control. I can only control what I can control.
“No, I came from the bottom, so I’m here. I’m Year 8. Since I’ve been here, I ain’t been off the field, and anything they’ve asked me to do I’ve played at a high level. . . . I always show up.”
On Sunday, coach Matt LaFleur discussed the key factors in the competition.
“Obviously, it starts with doing your right assignment, and then it comes down to your style of play,” LaFleur said. “How are you competing, going after the ball. Not only in the past game, but in the run game as well? Are you sticking your nose in there? And we need corners that are willing and capable tacklers.”
The Packers’ unofficial preseason depth chart lists Nixon as the starter, with Benjamin St-Juste as Nixon’s backup. Nixon started the preseason opener at Pittsburgh, playing 19 snaps.
Nixon, undrafted in 2019, enters the final year of a three-year, $18 million contract. He’s due to make $2.66 million in salary and per-game roster bonuses. St-Juste signed a two-year, $9.8 million deal with Green Bay in the offseason.
Read the full article here